Tuesday, March 31, 2015

My Favorite Toys

My mother is the opposite of a hoarder. While she has some few items that have been part of every home I ever knew her in, she lives quite minimal and I adore and envy her for it.
It may come as no surprise that I had a comparably small amount of toys as a kid and none made from plastic whatsoever. Don't worry, though, I never felt like I missed out! Except for the obligatory barbie I never asked her for anything made from platic and I admire her for being able to raise me this way.

Since she always prefered to invest in beautifully made, long-lasting toys many of those survived until today. I don't think there is anything more wonderful than the fact that Samuel gets to play with the same toys that had already given me so much joy over twenty years ago. Recently, I've noticed that these kind of toys, the hand-made, small-quantity produced, traditionally designed with a clear focus on eco and health consciousness have come back in style. Sure, the high-scale toy industry booms and expands with every 'new' unnecessary plastic item that manages to glow, flash and peep. At the same time though, I'm glad there are still enough people who appreciate phantasy-stimulating pieces and don't mind investing a bit more in exchange for good quality. I've collected all those things my mother stored for me all these years and researched toys that are at least similiar to mine if you're interested in buying them for your own kids (or as gifts!). I can promise you that all of these toys will inspire long hours of playing!

Most links below will bring you to German shops but I tried to include some options for you people in the US and in the UK. Have fun!




1. Pull-along-snake
I love this beautiful and very simple pull-along toy that basically consists of nothing more than a few big wooden beads and a string. It was hand painted by my mother and I like how the colors faded with time and use so I decided not to repaint it.
- This crocodile is both super cute and versatile as it stores a small number of wooden blocks-to-go. 
- The pull-alongs by Brio are an obvious classic for obvious reasons, very cute and available in many shapes.
- How fun is this little lawnmover that kids can push to make a rattling sound!

2. Skipping rope
A skipping rope is such a simple toy, still I haven't met a child that doesn't love playing with it. Mine was a souvenir from Italy, which explains the Pinocchio heads. I'm pretty sure they are still sold (some even with engraved names) but until you get a chance to go to Italy, consider taking a look at these beauties:
- This one is extra durable and with every buy it supports a project for disabled people. Win-win!
- The classic which is also most similar to mine.
- Oh mother of everything that is colorful and pastel! Also available in the UK.

3. Train tracks
Not only train enthusiasts (I'm always fascinated that there is such a thing) will love these train tracks. Since my childhood Brio added a lot of extras but I'm still a sucker for the simple fun that comes with attaching one wooden track to the other. 
- Sorry, it's a classic, only one way to go!

4. Wooden animals
Oh, these animals were my absolute favourites. I don't think any other toys were played with as much as these beautiful wooden figures.There are basically two (well, ok, I bet there are a lot more) well established brands that sell wooden animals
- These are the ones I grew up with and personally prefer for their more 'classic' look.
- Holztiger animals seem to be very popular right now and I'm sure they are very nice, too. If you live in the US, they are also available at Sweet William.




5. Wooden blocks
Wooden blocks are a staple in every childs collection, aren't they?  So, of course I had to include them in my list. The possibilities are endless, both in play and in the kind of blocks you can buy. I bet you know already which ones you love best but for the sake of completeness, here are a few wooden blocks that I find especially intriguing:
- Quite different from the classic wooden blocks but oh-so-beautiful, don't you think?
- Brio brings another classic to the table. Nothing wrong with that!
- I'm sure I'm not the only person who basically wants to buy everything Grimms has to offer but I really love the look of these color coordinated wooden blocks. Another Grimms set is available here for US readers.
- Another not-so-classic approach to wooden blocks are these balancing blocks by reaware. There is also a version for the color enthusiasts!

6. Baby piano
This lovely baby piano is, to be completely honest, not excactly the kind of heirloom toy I was looking to show you. It's a classic made-in-China item but is made from wood and lasts surprisingly long. Nevertheless, the instruments below are definitely more beautifully made.
While I couldn't find a piano like the one I have, I still had a hard time narrowing down my choices:
- Take a look at this xylophone (Germany) and this glockenspiel (US).
- I'd be embarassed to tell you how many times I looked at these tambourines only to cringe at the enourmous shipping costs to Europe. Oh, well, I guess I'll just have to go to New York very soon!
-  If you have three plus kids or are planning a music themed birthday party (how fun would that be?) this hamper is just the thing for you!
- Two very different kinds of guitars, both great in their own way. One from Germany and one from the US.

7. Boats
We have a small collection of boats, most of them we brought home from Portugal over the years. They make both great bathroom decorations (is there such a thing?) and are fun to play with in the tub (for the kids of course...).
- So simple and yet so genius: a balloon boat! Also available in Germany.
- Did I mention how nice boats look in the bathroom? Well, this one sure makes a statement!
- Made from natural rubber this little origami boat is super cute.
 
8. Pistol
I'm not a huge fan of (toy) weapons but as long as they are as adorable as the cork gun my mother bought in Strasbourg a long time ago, I don't mind!
- Now not only in Strasbourg but also in the UK!
- Along with the sweetest tiny figurines, Clauia crochets a a beautiful space gun (which we call fisch fön (fish blow dryer)) which you see in both hers and my instagram.

Thanks so much for reading and congratulations for getting through this humongous list! If you have anything to add, please mention in the comment section. Merci!

3 comments:

  1. There's a great toy shop, Dragonfly Castle (https://www.facebook.com/DragonflyCastle), in our new neighborhood in PA that has a great selection of well crafted classic toys. She actually carries many brands from Europe so I've seen some from your list in the store. I'll send the shop owner this link as I think it's an excellent list. We have a set of the balancing blocks in NY from Areaware that Otto's been playing with this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, you definitely need to come to NY just for the tambourines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Rona, we will come! Believe me, the tambourines are one of the minor reasons. Meeting you and Otto is way higher on the list. And mexican sandwiches. And going to your PA toy store. And visiting the Met together. Strolls through Central Park. Feeding the squirrels (yes, I'm that kind of person). Playing on the steps of the public library. Ahh..it's going to be wonderful!

      Delete