Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The What-You-Really-Need-In-A-Hospital-Bag-List


We didn't pack a hospital bag, so this is a picture of Samuel's suitcase. You get the gist though, don't you?

If you've read Samuel's birth story you know that we never had the time to pack a proper hospital bag. What we threw together last minute was half-sufficient and half redundant. So, I thought it might be helpful to note down which items where acctually neccessary and which completely useless. The contents of a hospital bag and the significance of specific objects definitely depend on the kind of birth you have and the amount of time you spent at the hospital/ birthing center after your baby has arrived. Many of the things I list can be found at any hospital but I have to admit that it gave me a great deal of comfort to have my own towel and bathrobe. I imagine that feeling would have been even stronger if I wouldn't have been allowed to leave immediately after Samuel's arrival. Even if you decide to have a home birth you'll need some essentials readily available and it's also smart to have an emergency hospital bag just in case the labour doesn't progress the way you had thought it would (even though I root for you this eventuality won't become a reality!).
I'd love to hear your ideas, aswell! What where the things you found most essential? Did I mention something that is completely irrevelant in your opinion?

For you:
- at least 2 big, black, comfortable granny panties (something along the lines of this)
- One or two pairs of warm and long wooly socks (it can get cold in a hospital, even in summer) or slippers to walk around
- either one of your husband's t-shirts or a comfy night gown
- a headband and, if you have long hair like me, a hair tie
- a bathrobe (how gorgeous is this one by ace&jig?)
- a towel, you might want to shower if you have the chance or are you having a water birth? (I love these ones by fog linen!)
- maxi pads, lots of them
- a tank top/ longsleeve that you can pull down to breast feed. Make sure it's rather loose fitting, you won't feel like having something tight wrapped around your body, believe me.
- two feeding bras and breast pads
- phone charger (I know, weird, but you might stay a bit longer)
- a granola bar
- if you have to stay in the hospital for a few days you might like to take your own pillow
- a complete outfit for when you leave. I recommend leggins, a loose fitting shirt (see above) and a cardigan
- a mixed CD
- glasses, if you need them
- health insurance ID if you have something like that in your country

For the man in your life (don't forget about him!):
- a camera + charged battery, for obvious reasons
- snacks and water
- a t-shirt to change. Seriously, he might get wet.. enough said.
- money to get a coffee or tea
- a book. He might want to distract himself or you might like to be read to while waiting.

For the baby:
- two or three outfits incl. pants/leggins, onesie, a shirt (I recommend you take a onesie + shirt in kimono style), soft cotton or wool hat and socks (I love this set by Mabo and this hat by Otto Finn)
- burb cloths (these are technically swaddles but I believe in things that have more than one purpose)
- baby blanket (maybe one that smells like you? I wore Samuels as a scarf for a while) (Again, Otto Finn has the answer for summer babys. I also adore this one by macarons fashion)
- car seat (I kid you not, my boyfriend had to go home after Samuel was born to get ours, we were so unprepared!)
- diapers! Every hospital has diapers for you to use but maybe you'd prefer to bring your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment