Monday, March 16, 2015

Repair and Maintain and Repeat

Since my pregnancy with Samuel I'm a major tea drinker. Some days I drink up to three or four pots which is a good thing because I used to forget to take in fluids in in the past. So you see, a tea pot and a tea glass, which I prefer to drink my tea from, is quite essential to my daily routine. Lucky that I have two pots in differnt sizes. Not so lucky that I'm also a major klutz and drop or bump several items a day. Two of these happened to be my beloved tea pots recently which I both broke in a matter of days, so I suddently found myself without a bigger vessel to make tea in. Neither pot is of huge financial value (though one of them is a (quite common) Bauhaus tea pot) but still I realized that there are certain things that we feel we cannot let go. It would be easy to just throw them out and find a new and shiny substitute without scratches, flaws, dents or holes. While that might be the way people usually do it in a time where things are readily available to be bought and brought home at any given moment, I prefer most of my belongings to have emotional value. Sure, there are objects that come with a story even though they are new. They might have been carefully and thoughtfully hand-made or were sold on a fleamarket. Why not try to stick to what we have and get the most out of it though? So, instead of getting rid of a tea pot I once handled rudely, I mend, repair and maintain it as well as I can. Isn't a tiny flaw what makes things - and people for that matter - beautiful?



2 comments:

  1. I can see why you've chosen to mend them. The striped one in particular is so striking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We call it the pyjama pot in reference to it's lovely pattern, I love it quite a big amount.

      Delete