Monday, March 9, 2015

A Sunday Stroll in Spring + Thoughts on Letting Kids Explore




Yesterday it felt like spring had arrived for the first time this year. Not only that it was warm but it seemed like the earth took a deep breath as everything immersed in sunlight. For me, it's really the light that is missing during winter, the cold I can deal with. Samuels aunt was visting for the weekend and to celebrate we took a long walk. No matter where we went, people where taking in the first signs of spring, the light, the air and enjoying themselves coat-less to feel the sun's warmth on their skin. We felt so close to paradise! Isn't it nice how small things like this can change everything and lift your mood immediately?
Samuel however was seriously confused at the sight of seas of crocuses and snowdrops. Poor baby, winter has been going on way to long!


 

 While we were strolling along tree-lined paths in the park, Samuel was taking in the scene in his own way. Whenever we stopped for a while he would crawl around, pull himself up wherever possible and pick up stones, flowers and twigs. When we reached a flight of stairs he continued to explore and cautiously and slowly climped the steps one by one until he reached the top. I would look around sometimes and realized that Samuel was the only child (his age) who was not permanently sitting in his stroller but would crawl around freely as he liked. This is certainly not news to me. Wherever we go, may it be playgroup, when we travel on a train or sit in a café we generally don't mind letting Samuel go so he can move around and, yes, put pretty much everything in his mouth. In my mind it's his way of learning and trying out his own limits and preferences. I like to think that by letting him 'run' wild and free he'll always come back for comfort. Additionally, I prefer not to restrict his curiosity because I fear if I do it to often he'll lose his wonderful, exploratory mind. At the same time I'm aware that many people might have safety concerns or, and I've been told that many times, are even genuinely scared for Samuel's or their own baby's health. I don't think anybody has to worry, though - I'm always there, ready to catch him when he needs me to.





 Samuel is wearing beautiful Overall Orel Crash by macarons fashion, a stripy onesie by Joha, a star hat by Noe+Zoé and our favourite urban mocassins by Amy+Ivor

No comments:

Post a Comment